How to Use a Hand and Eye Coordination Exercise to Start a Painting
Andy Braitman demonstrates how to use a hand and eye coordination exercise to start a painting.
1. Without looking at your canvas, have your mind transfer the information you are looking at from the still life to your canvas.
2. Keep your eye and hand moving at the same spots on the still life and canvas, respectively.
3. DO NOT take your hand off of the canvas or your eye off of the still life! As soon as you do you have to look at the canvas, which ruins the exercise.
4. Use your left (or non-dominant) hand to apply the paint to the canvas so that you do not have the tendency to draw!
5. Once you feel that you have transferred your entire still life to your canvas take a look at it to make sure sure you have space for the highest and lowest things in your vision.