How to Gesso a Canvas
Nicholas Stewart demonstrates how to stretch a canvas.
1. First, check to be sure that your stretched canvas is nice and tight before you begin.
2. Start by applying a thin layer of gesso to the sides of the canvas.
3. Next you will apply a thicker layer of gesso layer on the front of the canvas. To do this you will start from the outside edge of the canvas and slowly spiral your way towards the center of the canvas.
4. Rather than creating patterns with your gesso application, be sure to use a very random application of brushwork to apply the gesso to the front of the canvas.
5. Once the canvas is covered, check the quality of your brushwork and touch up any areas that are too thick or thin.
6. Repeat the process two to three times if you want to eventually paint on a thicker toothed surface!