Layout & Design for Simple Paintings
Part 1 of the "Simple Paintings" Video Lessons
1. Create simple design with a complicated color palette
2. Start the design with compressed charcoal on a gessoed canvas
a. shape the tree near the center of the canvas
b. pour mixed medium onto your palette and apply onto the charcoal design with a wash brush to create "black paint"
3. Add the shape of the background and foreground with compressed charcoal
a. try to point the subject, background and foreground towards a vanishing point
4. Take a brayer roller and load it with a mid-tone oil paint
5. Cover the tree design and background using the loaded roller
6. Brighten the mid-tone paint with white and/or lemon yellow
7. Load roller with the brightened mid-tone and cover the the "mid-ground" and "sky" of the painting.
8. Take a metal scraper and block the "ground" of the painting with a darker paint
7. Redraw the tree design with compressed charcoal